First off, where does all this snot come from, you'd think after two boxes of tissue I might have blown it all, but it would appear not!
So having finished one UFO, and feeling less than human, rather than tackling the UFO that was already on the table ready, no, I decided to delve into the archives and resurrect THIS little beauty :)
Yes, shamefully, I started this back in November 2009, and got the top pieced together Here in December 2010, so all that was left was cut and piece borders. For those that are not aware, Bonnie's patterns use scraps, and frequently have tinsy whinsey pieces, so I'm not surprised I ran out of steam at this point.
but I did have a plan, as I knew at this point I was at the limit of my frame set up at the time. That plan arrived in January 2011 in the form of a studio, which means my frame is now extended to a full 10 feet.
And this weekend I have used it for the first time to it's fullest in anger (well with quilts that stretch the full length of it anyway) After a basting job, (which I learnt the best settings for vanishing thread) I decided it was time ....
You see, last weekend I did the cutting, and some piecing ... and with an hour on Thursday evening when I was feeling more like me ....
I got it all together :) It now measures 92" x 92" a monster of a quilt, even for me!
When I counted and calculated the backing, ok, my brain hurt, depending on how many seams and how tight I was going to be, that was anything in the region of 6.5 meters to 7.5 meters - ouch!
So I went for a rummage in my stash, well, this quilt was made from stash to start with! And miracle upon miracles, not one, but two BIG pieces, one of which was lovely and soft and just beautiful, cream on cream. Perfect! at 108" x 122" just perfect!
ok, so the backing is a bit wide, but I set everything to one side and so it's a good usable chunk of cream on cream for later. Bonus!
Although I have a roll of Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 it was late and dark and I didn't fancy heading to the other office and bundling a new roll out of it's packaging ... and it's a beautiful quilt ... I love it already :)
So, once again I headed for my stash, and dug out this ...
Perfect, and it quilts like a dream!
It's such a busy pattern that an all over quilting design is ideal, so being as I am teaching feathers at the retreat this coming weekend, I thought I better get my hand in!
(by the way, if you are interested in learning how to do this in a workshop or retreat, let me know, there are still spaces available for the weekend and for the March retreat)
I've used a Superior King Tut Papyrus which is a very subtle variegated that just about disappears on top so it does not detract from the pattern of the quilt. After 3 1/2 hours of quilting today, I think I'm about half way ...
I have to get this finished by Wednesday!
So that's what I've been doing, and today, in between the quilting I made one of the blocks for Miss January of the Brit Bee, but I'll save that for another day :)
This week, busy, busy, busy, lots to get done, lots going on, I hope I have the stamina!
I hope I can get rid of this bloomin cold and chest infection too!
The Sunday evening Ironing marathon is done, ready for another school week, the cupboards stocked with fresh supplies, and the house in a relative state of tidiness, so I guess I'm good to go for some well earned sleep :)